Success in the modern world depends more than ever on communication skills. The English Department engages students in the challenge to acquire the skills necessary for successful communication: reading, thinking, analyzing and writing. Through literature, writing assignments and class discussions, the English Department seeks to introduce students’ issues and ideas that will help them explore their own identity and the nature of the world around them.
English Department Goals:
Upon the completion of his or her course of studies in English, the Clearwater Central Catholic High School graduate will be able to:
- Write to communicate competently for a variety of purposes and audiences.
- Communicate using standard English grammar, usage, sentence structure, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling.
- Locate, select, and synthesize information from a variety of texts, media, references, and technological sources to acquire and communicate knowledge.
- Read and engage intellectually and sympathetically with literature from various societies, eras and cultures.
- Decipher complex material through the use of a broadly developed vocabulary.
- Perform above the national average on the ACT, PSAT, and SAT.
The Praedator, CCCHS School Yearbook
The school yearbook, The Praedator, is produced by the students in Yearbook I. It has won many awards over its fifty-two year history.