Social Studies is an integrated study of the social sciences and humanities to promote civic competence. At Clearwater Central Catholic High School, Social Studies education is a vital component of a well-rounded educational experience. It prepares students to function successfully in an increasingly expanded global community. It is also the primary medium through which students are prepared to become capable, responsible citizens who are willing to meaningfully participate in the nation’s democracy, and to contribute to its multicultural society.
A quality education in Social Studies is essential to all students. This education helps to develop in students an understanding and appreciation of the experiences of the past, the realities of the present, and the possibilities for the future. Through inquiry-based learning, problem solving, analytical thinking, reasoned decision-making, and utilization of technology, students are provided with the skills necessary to live and compete effectively in a global community.
Social Studies Department Goals
Upon the completion of his or her course of studies in Science, the Central Catholic High School graduate will be able to:
- Identify, understand and work to solve the problems facing our diverse nation in an increasingly interdependent world.
- Appreciate the benefits of diversity and community, the value of widespread economic opportunity, and the contributions that people of both genders made to our society.
- Narrate, listen and persuade effectively through technology, rhetoric and writing.
- Connect knowledge with beliefs and action using critical thinking skills that lead to active civic participation.
- Make decisions based upon Catholic and democratic principles.
- International Baccalaureate, Advanced Placement, Honors and College Preparatory classes provide academic challenges and meet student needs.
- Model United Nations provides extra-curricular activities to our students.
- Florida Youth in Government.
- Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society.