The Mathematics Department works to build-up a student’s confidence and self-esteem by enhancing their competency and understanding in mathematics. Specifically, the members of the Mathematics Department aim to develop their students as problem-solvers; to encourage and expect them to apply learned concepts in situations beyond the realm of the classroom; to think clearly and logically; and to master those concepts and skills necessary for further study and for life.
After completing four years of mathematics at CCC, a student will:
- Develop the power of abstract concepts in a given situation and transfer this knowledge to new situations.
- Master those concepts and skills necessary for further study in mathematics and related
- Think clearly and logically in situations involving chance and uncertainty.
- Realize the importance and practicality of mathematics in daily living and be able to use this science as a tool toward improving one’s own life.
- Relate learning experiences in mathematics to its function in the overall system of the sciences.
- Develop an appreciation for the usefulness of technology in mathematics.
- The mathematics teachers are highly qualified and enthusiastic, demonstrating a caring attitude toward students.
- The mathematics teachers provide assistance to students before and after school as well as coordinating tutoring opportunities through the Math Honor Society.
- The curriculum is designed to provide classes to students with varying abilities.
- CCC graduates have a high success rate in college mathematics courses.
- The Mathematics Department articulates with middle school partner schools on a regular and frequent basis.